Thursday, August 4, 2011

Running Through Pain

I just got home from spending a few days at the lake with Matt and his family (hopefully I can post some pics soon). I enjoy the lake almost as much as I enjoy the beach. It was fun and relaxing, and I loved spending time with his family.
Unfortunately my running has not been going very well. Up until 2 weeks ago I was getting all the mileage in and having a great summer of training (while still enduring pain 24/7). The pain that I have had in my knee all summer (and for the past 5 months) has at least been manageable and I have been able to run through it. 2 weeks ago I had different pain that actually kept me from running. I took 5 days off because it wasn't getting any better. Then I ran 2 days in a row with "manageable" pain and couldn't make it past 15 minutes the 3rd day. I took 2 more days off (this past Monday and Tuesday) and ran yesterday and today with "manageable" pain. It hasn't just been pain in my knee, but also pain in my hamstring and piriformis muscle. I don't know whether I should just keep running through it or keep resting it. This is a debate that I battle every time I deal with injury. I am tired of having to take time off, but I am also tired of running through pain. It will be good to get back to Starkville so I can get daily therapy and hopefully get back to running pain-free.
Since I had to take days off, I felt like I had to eat less because I couldn't burn the calories. I hate that this was something I dealt with while we were at the lake because I know it looked bad for me to not eat very much. I know that restricting will lead to bingeing, but on days that I don't run I feel like I have to eat less. I need to remember that even if I am not running, I still need fuel. I need to be better about taking care of my body and giving it what it needs despite my fear of gaining weight. I also need to constantly remind myself that I am "fearfully and wonderfully made" and that I am "God's masterpiece." Stressing over my weight and appearance is not something that pleases God. It leaves me empty, negatively affects my relationships, and does not lead to anything good. Like I wrote in my last post, I need to focus more on my character and being who God wants me to be rather than focusing on my physical appearance.

1 comment:

Melita said...

I am so sorry you are having so much pain and trouble running! Hopefully, once you get back here, they can help you find something that will help the problem. I, for one, CANNOT wait for you to get back to MSU. I have MISSED you this summer, and I can't wait to catch up! See you VERY SOON!