Monday, August 8, 2011

Second Opinion

I saw another doctor today about my knee just to get a second opinion. The good news is that there is nothing else wrong with my knee. The bad news is that my right quad is still smaller than my left (by 1 cm). I don't understand why it isn't stronger considering I have been working all summer to strengthen it. I asked the doctor if running on it was making it worse and he said no. I then asked him if I want it to get better should I stop running on it and he said yes. I know I can keep running and just manage the pain, but I am tired of just managing it...I want it gone. After seeing this doctor and talking to my trainer, I think I have decided to take some time off of running. I still need to talk to my coach and see what he thinks, but I pretty much have my mind made up. I want to run so badly, but I can't keep dealing with the constant pain. It will be very hard to be back with the team and not be running, but I think this is the best decision. I really wish I would have taken time off at the beginning of the summer, but everyone kept telling me that it was ok to run. Hopefully I won't have to take too much time off. I don't know if I can handle cross training for very long. I'm nervous about talking to my coach. I hope that he understands and supports my decision. Maybe if I take some time off, I can have a good track season next spring. I have not had a good track season since I have been at school because of injury and anemia, but maybe this spring will be different. Since I won't be running with the team for a few weeks, hopefully I can be the best encourager and cheerleader for them!

No comments: