Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Surgery: Round 2

Most of you know that I had surgery back at the end of January on my right knee and that I have had problems with that knee ever since surgery (different problems than what the surgery was for). I stopped running completely in August to try to get it better. Even with rest and rehab, I was seeing no improvement in my right knee and my left knee started bothering me from cross-training. I was having the same problem in my left knee as I had in my right knee before surgery: plica. I stopped cross-training completely so my left knee could get better. Over the past few months, I have been on an anti-inflammatory, had a cortisone injection in my left knee, and had 5 knee fluid injections in my right knee. I saw hardly any improvement. Even though I was not doing any cross-training and I was on the anti-inflammatory and icing 3 times every day, I was still having pain walking and standing. We made the decision to do surgery on both knees. I would have the plica removed from my left knee and have my right knee cleaned out. The surgery was Monday morning. My parents came down Sunday night, and I was so glad to have them here.

Right before surgery
 Surgery took about 45 minutes (I think). I didn't stay very long once I woke up, maybe only 20 minutes. We went back to the hotel after surgery, but they didn't give me any crutches. Fortunately, the hotel had luggage carts!

 Matt came before surgery but had to go back to campus (30 minutes away) to take an exam. After his exam, he came back over and brought me my medicine and crutches. Walking with the crutches is difficult and not very helpful since I still have to put weight on both my knees.

Renee came and saw me yesterday afternoon. She is such an amazing friend and really brightened my day! The first surgery I had, she also had surgery so we were there together. It definitely wasn't the same without her there this time, but I am glad she didn't need surgery!

I love her!
We can be a little weird sometimes.
 The surgery was successful! The doctor removed the plica from my left knee and removed some loose cartilage from my right knee. I am in a little more pain than I was after my first surgery, but it is probably because I have to put my weight on my knees when I move around. I also haven't had much of an appetite since surgery, which didn't happen last time. Hopefully my appetite will return soon because it is not enjoyable feeling like I am forcing food down. Matt has been absolutely amazing through all of this! He has helped me so much and with such a good attitude! Renee said last night that he wins the "boyfriend of the year" award. I have to agree :)
Hopefully I will be able to walk by graduation Friday night!

3 comments:

Damie said...

Glad they were able to get some work done on both....love you and will talk to you this week!

Heather said...

Glad everything went well yesterday! I know you had lots of good nurses {your parents + Matt!}. Can't wait to celebrate with you on Friday, woohooo!!

Melita said...

So glad this is behind you! Hopefully, your knees will feel MUCH better now! Kudos to Matt! He's a keeper!