Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Homemade Ravioli

I have been wanting to make homemade ravioli for quite sometime now. Last night I finally tried it. It wasn't a complete failure, but it definitely could have been better. The filling turned out good: I did a beef and spinach filling and a ricotta filling. The dough was the difficult part. It took a lot of work to form the flour, water, and egg into a pliable dough. Unfortunately, I don't think I rolled the dough out thin enough or boiled the ravioli long enough, so it was quite thick and chewy. I tried to make my own sauce too, and that was another failure because it burned :( Fortunately, Matt combined some ingredients (aka cans of pasta sauce) and whipped up a fabulous sauce that made the ravioli much more enjoyable to eat. It may be a long time from now and it may take multiple attempts, but I plan on redeeming myself and making some amazing ravioli and sauce.

I am about to head back to Starkville this morning. I'm ready to be back, but it will also be hard to be back with the team since I won't be running with them for a while. I'm excited about seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made homemade ravioli for Xmas. The hardest part for sure is rolling the dough thin enough. I did my own sauce, too... but it was butternut squash ravioli, which taste best with just a butter and sage sauce. Super easy. Lots of butter, lots of sage, some nutmeg, BOOM. :) Just don't do what I did and use cookie cutters to make them all shaped like christmas ornaments. Bad idea! haha!

-Caitlyn