Friday, November 25, 2011

Saturated in Truth

I wrote in my previous post that God made us to crave, but the object of our craving was never supposed to be food or other things people find themselves consumed by (sex, money, chasing after significance). The word craving is defined as something you long for, want greatly, desire eagerly, and beg for (dictionary.com). We were made to crave God. Only God. Satan, however, wants to do everything possible to replace our craving for God with something else. He has used food in my life to replace my craving for God, and unfortunately I have given in too many times, turning to food instead of God as my source of comfort and joy and craving food more than God. In the Garden of Eden, the serpent (Satan) lured Eve into eating the forbidden fruit (Genesis 3:6). Satan also tempted Jesus while He was in the dessert with multiple things, including food (Matthew 4:1-11). I find it interesting that the bible talks about food being used as a temptation to replace God multiple times. It's also comforting to know that I am not the only one who has been tempted in this way. Eve gave in to temptation because she was saturated in the object of her desire; Jesus overcame temptation because He was saturated in God's truth. The more saturated we are in God's truth, the more powerful we will be in resisting our temptations.

One thing I have been doing a lot of this past month is memorizing scripture and repeating it throughout the day. It amazes me how many verses there are that apply to my struggles with food. God's Word is definitely living and active! I hope to share many of these verses as I continue writing about things God has been showing me through this bible study, Made to Crave. I will leave you with one verse that can be applied to many different areas of struggle, Romans 6:12-13:

Do not let sin control the way you live. Do not give in to its lustful desires. Do not let any part of your body become a tool of wickedness to be used for sinning. Instead, give your bodies to God since you have been given new life, and use your whole body as a tool to do what is right for the glory of God.

(Some of these words are not my own. They have been taken from the book Made to Crave.)

No comments: